This Statement is, except where separate and distinctive statements are provided, applicable to the MI Asia Limited’s group of companies (the “Group”), including but not limited to Magazines International (Asia) Limited, MI Membership Services Limited and MI Kids Limited. Accordingly, references to “we”, “us”, or “our company” shall mean, as the case may be, the relevant company within the Group.
Please note that this Statement may be amended from time to time without prior notice. You are advised to check for the latest version on a regular basis. If there is any inconsistency or conflict between the English and Chinese versions of this Statement, the English version shall prevail.
Collection of Customer’s Personal Information
For the purpose of carrying on our business including sale, subscription, and registration of related products and services, we will collect your personal information when you:
- purchase a product from us through the counter promotion, telephone, online, in our office or through our authorized dealers or agents;
- subscribe magazine or register a service of us (including subscription or registration the service at through the counter promotion, telephone, online, in our office or through our authorized dealers or agents).
- enquire information about a product or service from us;
- contact us with an enquiry or complaint;
- enter any promotions, competitions, prize draws through our services;
- use our products or services;
- take part in market research; or
- visit or browse our websites.
Types of Personal Data Collected
For the purpose of carrying on our business including sale, subscription, and registration of related products and services (including relevant on-line services), the information that we collect include but is not limited to the following:
- your name;
- residential address, office address, correspondence address and/or billing address;
- account details, including account numbers, service numbers or user accounts;
- payment details including credit card information, bank account and other banking information;
- contact details, including contact name and fixed and mobile telephone number and email address;
- your preferences for particular products, services or your hobbies and leisure activities;
- a note or recording of a call that you made to our hotlines;
- an email or letter you send to us; and other records of any contact you have with us;
- your subscription information, such as dates of subscription, the magazines you have subscribed; and any other information relating to your account.
Use of Customers’ Personal Information
We may use and analyse your information for the following purposes including but not limited to:
- designing services or products for customers’ use;
- processing your order and providing the products and services that you have bought from us and keeping you updated with the progress of your order;
- keeping you updated of our latest offers or promotions;
- marketing the following products and services (in respect of which we may or may not be remunerated):
- all products or services by us,
- reward, loyalty or privileges programmes and related products and services; and
- products and services offered by us and/or our business partners including lifestyle, travel, entertainment, household, children, dining, finance, insurance, education, health and beauty, apparel, electronics and high-end consumer products; and
- assisting you with any products or services enquiries, including investigating and resolving service affecting issues and dealing with any billing queries you may have;
- billing you for using our products or services;
- assisting us in fraud and crime prevention;
- debt tracing, debt recovery and credit management;
- contacting you if necessary.
We will send you e-mail alerts for monthly newsletter, new products, enhancements, special
offers, contests, events of interest, and one-off marketing promotions. Such alerts may include
marketing information about our company, our subsidiaries or selected business partners.
Retention of Personal Data
We will destroy any personal data it may hold in accordance with its internal policy. Personal data will only be retained for as long as we need it unless the personal data is also retained to satisfy any applicable statutory or contractual obligations or for the purpose of investigation, detection and prosecution of crime.
Disclosure and Sharing of Personal Data
All personal data held by us will be kept confidential but we may disclose information about you to the following parties:
- companies in our Group;
- contractors, agents or suppliers who are involved in delivering the products and services you have ordered or used;
- any banking or financial institutions, charge or credit card issuing companies (for payment transaction purposes);
- debit-collection agencies or other debt-recovery organizations;
- professional advisers (which shall include lawyers and auditors);
- any agent, contractor or third party service provider who provides subscription, administrative, computer, payment or other services to us in connection with the operation of its business;
- law-enforcement or government bodies, regulatory bodies, courts or as required by law;
- any person to whom we are under an obligation to make disclosure under the requirements of any law binding on us or under and for the purposes of any guidelines issued by regulatory or other authorities with which we are expected to comply;
- third party reward, loyalty and privileges programme providers;
- business partners of us; and
- external service providers (including but not limited to mailing houses, telemarketing and direct sales agents, call centres, data processing companies and information technology companies) that we engage.
Security of Personal Data
- We have adequate measures to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, accidental loss or destruction.
- If we have a contract with another third party organization to provide a service on its behalf, we will ensure they have appropriate security measures and only process your information as we have authorized. Those organizations will not be entitled to use your personal information for their own purposes. We will take reasonable steps to check these organizations to make sure that they are meeting the security requirements set by us.
Transfer of Personal Data Outside of Hong Kong
At times it may be necessary and/or prudent for us to transfer certain personal data to other group companies or service providers outside of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (“Hong Kong”). This may happen if our servers or suppliers and service providers are based outside of Hong Kong or if you use our services and products outside Hong Kong. We will take steps to ensure that your personal information is used by such third parties in accordance with this policy.
Your Privacy Rights
- In accordance with the terms of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (“the Ordinance”) and subject to exemptions specified in the Ordinance, any customer:
- has the right to check whether we hold personal data about him or her and has a right to receive copies of such data;
- has the right to require us to correct any personal data relating to him or her which is inaccurate; and
- has the right to ascertain our policies and practices in relation to personal data and to be informed of the kind of personal data held by us.
- In accordance with the terms of the Ordinance, we have the right to charge a reasonable fee for processing a data access request.
- Requests for access to personal data, correction of personal data, information relating to the kind of data held and stop receiving or re-start receiving direct marketing, may be made in writing by post, fax, or email to:
The Data Protection Officer
Magazines International (Asia) Limited
Flat A,2/F, On Dak Industrial Building
2 Wah Sing Street
Kwai Chung, New Territories
Fax: (852) 3628 6001
Email: [email protected]
Please identify yourself with your name and contact number when writing to the Data Protection Officer.
At all times, we will offer you the opportunity to unsubscribe out of our email alerts or updates to which you have subscribed. Any e-mail we send you will contain an easy automated unsubscribe link so that you can opt-out of that subscription. Simply follow the indications in the e-mail.
If there is any inconsistency or conflict between the version posted on the website and the previous versions, this version shall prevail.
Update: 2 Oct 2015